Act 10 – Moon, was a visually lovely episode that did a lot to advance the storyline! With the inner senshi assembled and mysteries starting to unfurl, Sailor Moon Crystal is finally establishing itself as a distinct piece of the Sailor Moon collective. I’m in. I was in before, but I think I’m taking it a lot more seriously now. Let’s talk about Act 10.
Okay, remember what I was complaining about last episode? I guess someone was listening to me, because we finally got to see the girls in logical street clothes. This is a classic Usagi outfit too. I appreciated this.
Venus is still acting like a know-it-all if you ask me, but that’ll fade now that the rest of the senshi have past life memories.
This was my favorite scene simply because it reminded me of the original Sailor Moon anime and the beginning notes of Moonlight Densetsu played in my head…
A trip to the moon poses many logistical questions that were not lost on resident brain, Ami-chan. You’ve got to love how they at least addressed that this is semi-scientific, but whatever they went there by magic. I was pleased with holographic Queen Serenity’s explanation of their past lives taking place before the Earth cycle started over. What begs questioning is:
- Why is Queen Serenity’s daughter’s name Princess Serenity? Why would she name her that? Who does she think she is, Lorelai Gilmore?
- Why have no scientists discovered remains of civilization on the moon? For the record, completely LOVED that they were directed to land in Mare Serenitatis, the Sea of Serenity. This is an actual moon location. Don’t you think this show is brilliant?!
- What does it mean when Queen Serenity says that they were reborn as human females this time? I guess that’s the big takeaway of the episode, the purpose of their rebirth.
The most interesting reveal to me in this episode was the Four Kings of Heaven. The four generals that serve Queen Beryl and terrorize the Sailor Senshi are brainwashed versions of the four guardians of Prince Endymion. Oh, and also, in past lives these four were in love with the four inner senshi. (Does this make it canon, guys?!)
- Jadeite, the knight of patience and harmony, was previously in love with Sailor Mars.
- Nephrite, the knight of intelligence and comfort, was previously in love with Sailor Jupiter.
- Zoisite, the knight of purification and healing, was previously in love with Sailor Mercury.
- Kunzite, the knight of purity and affection, was previously in love with Sailor Venus.
I could talk about this all day. I’m so interested in these pairings and if anymore is to come of them in Sailor Moon Crystal.
As for attacks, Sailor Moon’s Moon Healing Escalation came from SPACE in this episode, which was pretty neat. This is also the first time we’ve seen a Sailor Planet Attack and it was awesome.
Actual important things that come from this episode include the Legendary Silver Crystal, now a handy dandy necklace thanks to Usagi’s dad, is just that at the moment. It’s power resides in Mamoru. Speaking of Mamoru, he’s returning to Earth a brainwashed Beryl supported. This is going to be complicated.
I don’t think I can wait until December for a new episode!
What did you guys think of Act 10?