Hello, friends! Welcome to the most color-coordinated Julep Maven box I’ve ever received.
I realized weeks later that my little July box had been hiding in my mailbox since the holiday. I went with the basic three-polish It Girl box, but made one color switch.
What I got:
- Corinne, sandcastle stardust | Isn’t that a lovely description? I was so excited about the stardust finishes, but Corinne is kind of… thick? It didn’t go on easy, and at first it looked very dull. It does wear long and well, though, and I actually loved the color after a day of wear!
- Mara, thistle blossom stardust | Truth be told, I haven’t tried this one out yet. After being immediately discouraged by the new stardust finish, then having my love completely restored, I’m back to being super excited to try it out. It read radiant orchid to me, and it perfectly matches the Maven box itself!
- Alyssa, beachside turquoise | I was a little on the fence about this one, thinking it looked prettier online than in-bottle. It’s on my nails now, though, and I am happy to report it is a perfect, bright, trendy summer turquoise! It’s a bit more on the green side than any turquoises I own, so it was worth it.
Leave me a comment if you’d like to join Julep Maven! I’ll send you an invite to get a free box.
Happy July! These are a few of my favorite things from last month!
Of course, there’s more!
Hello June bugs! This month’s Julep Maven box is undoubtedly the best one I’ve ever gotten. I’ve got to be a year into my subscription at this point and I may be more in love than ever.
I did another unboxing for you! Opening it up is fun because I never remember what I’ve gotten, and sometimes– like this time– I get surprises!
Now that I’ve had the products for a bit I was able to test and fall in love! Here are some more details for you:
- Manda (Boho Glam) – sky blue with gold shimmer. This color reminds me of a mermaid! It’s got a brilliant but subtle shimmer.
- Lillian (It Girl) – alabaster pink crème. This very light pink is so up my ally right now since I’m so interested in near-white shades!
- Marcy (Bombshell) – prosecco silk (semi-matte opalescent). This gorgeous matte sparkle champagne is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. The finish is unique, but undeniably lovely. All I can say is look for this in my next favorites post!
Gel Eye Glider eyeliner
These come in tons of shades but I picked Smoky Taupe Shimmer and Olive! They go on very smooth and wear well. I’m super happy with the colors I picked and would consider adding more of these to my collection!
Feels Like Velvet eyeshadow duo in Moonlight & Starlight
I did pick this duo for the name, but it also has the most beautiful and most versatile colors. Moonlight is a matte lilac grey and starlight is a white sand shimmer. These are very nice in texture, as the name would imply!
Long Weekend Eyeshadow Palette
An impulse purchase and a fabulous deal, this gorgeous palette holds 11 neutral shades with fun, summer names: Bask, Brunch, Catnap, Friday, Getaway, Bonfire, Lowtide, Monday, Saturday, Sunset, and Sunday. The packaging had me with strokes of watercolor blue, pink, and yellow. This is a nice substitute for an Urban Decay Naked Palette if you can get it discounted like a Maven!
So that’s the scoop! And yes I’m obsessed with all of it. Click here for a free month of Julep – trust me, it’s worth it!
Well, well, it’s been quite a while since I’ve featured a Julep Maven box, hasn’t it? That’s because Maven now lets you skip months. It’s been wonderful for my wallet and let’s be honest, I have far too much nail polish! March and April just didn’t have any colors that grabbed me, but May was another story. Here’s what I got:
Jessica | Described as a soft baby blue crème, I would classify this as more of a muted sky. It’s darker than “baby blue” if you ask me, and it’s almost identical to one of my favorite Revlon shades, Dreamer.
Vanna | Simply described as “magnolia crème,” I liked this off-white-ish shade even though I had no idea what to expect from magnolia. Magnolias do come in different colors, after all. I stand by what I said in my unboxing, this is a buttercream! It reads white from afar, but it’s got a peachy undertone— sometimes I pick up pink, sometimes yellow.
Nail Decals – Gold Anchors | This is pretty self-explanatory, but how cute are these stick-on nail decals going to be for summer? You know this girl is obsessed with anchors and all things nautical!
I also got: a free polish coupon, (try that code out for yourself!) and some salt water taffy… that I may actually eat!
So here’s a fun new thing… (more…)
I usually find March to be such a long, tiresome month. This year, though, I think it kind of flew by! I’m grateful for that. I’ve got a few more beauty favorites from the month to share with you. Let’s jump in!
[Julep Body Milk] + The consistency of this lotion has become my new favorite. It’s dry skin season, so I’ve been applying this on my legs after every shower, whether or not I’ve shaved my legs. It is more liquid than most lotions, but oh so hydrating. It’s not sticky at all either, so I can immediately lotion my legs then slip into bed… because I’m super lazy. I’ve used this religiously since I received it in my first Julep Maven Box and will have to repurchase soon!
[Benefit Speed Brow] + This tinted brow gel is my first foray into brow gels. I considered a clear one, then a tinted one, but ultimately chose this as sort of a middle ground. My hair is blonde (naturally, dark blonde or caramel) but my brows are more of a medium brown. I was afraid to pick the wrong shade. This tint is so faint that it’s not going to overwhelm. The gel also dries to feel perfectly natural and keeps your brows in shape!
[Benefit Roller Lash Mascara] + I didn’t think this was for me because my eyelashes have a natural curl going on. After reading a few reviews, I was intrigued about the brush. While waiting to get my brows done at Benefit, I had them try it on me. Needless to say, I loved it and ended up purchasing. I especially like that it’s supposed to help your lashes grow!
[Bite Agave Lip Mask] + Chapped lips have been more of a problem for me this year than ever before, especially since I’m so into lipstick lately! I’d heard that this has transformative powers and couldn’t wait to give it a try. From just one treatment, my lips are softer to the touch. I’ve used it about three times now and am very satisfied. It’s so thick and is actually quite difficult to squeeze out. But it works!
[Julep Shelly & Essie Bikini So Teeny] + I’m all about pastels this time of year! My two favorite polishes this month have both been shades of blue. I’ve loved Julep’s Shelley, an almost minty blue, and Essie’s Bikini So Teeny, a more muted pastel blue great for spring or summer. You can see both on my nails on my instagram.
What are your beauty favorites as of late?
If you haven’t caught on by now, I have a lot of nail polish! I did a big clean our not so long ago and basically started my collection over. My Julep Maven subscription, however, has taken my collection to a whole new level of crazy.
Storage and organization (so you can actually see what colors you have) is always an issue. I’ve been looking for the perfect nail polish rack to display all of my colors for so long, and I finally found one! Last weekend, I called my favorite handy man (Hi, Dad!) to hang it for me.
Here is the finished product!
I’ve displayed my Revlon polishes, my Essie polishes, and all of my Juleps! After I took this photo, I did add a few Sally Hansen Salon polishes that I like and OPI’s Lincoln Park After Dark– just sort of the rest of the colors that I actually use and like. I definitely want to branch out brand-wise (thus, I think my time as a Julep Maven is winding down!) but I do quite like the uniform bottles for display.
My bathroom kind of feels like a nail salon now!
I love doing little things in my home that make it feel more like mine. I did move in here to all of the previous tenants’ furniture (honestly, it’s beautiful furniture; I’d love to take it with me when I go!), so it feels great to do that.
So, that’s my latest project, completed!
What do you think?
It’s that time again! I’ve been doing a nail polish-related project that you lovely readers will soon see! Until then, I’ll share for you my February box: the Afterglow Collection.
I tried to keep it simple this month, choosing just the three polishes promised in the It Girl box. I did, however, make two swaps to make my three-polish box perfect for me! Little did I know, my February box also included a free Valentine’s Day surprise!
I ended up with one from It Girl, one from Bombshell, and one from Classic with a Twist. I’d say I have all of the Julep Maven style profiles in me, so I love that I can pick a color from each to make my monthly box! (Protip: the only reason I go It Girl is because it has three polishes instead of two and a beauty product.) The customization option makes it so much more fun.
And here are the details:
L to R:
- London (Classic with a Twist) | a heather blossom crème, which reminds me of radiant orchid and makes me so excited for spring! I have a specific outfit that this polish is made for.
- Keiko (Bombshell) | a charred olive shimmer. If you know anything about me, you know I love olive! It looks almost black, which I love, and the shimmer is subtle. Pretty perfect.
- Colton (It Girl) | a black iris crème. This is the one I couldn’t bear to switch out because I always need a good black!
- Hartleigh (Classic with a Twist) | a holographic heart glitter top coat that came for free as a surprise! This multi-color confetti & heart top coat is super fun for Valentine’s Day, but I find polishes like this are super hard to remove!
Leave me a comment if you want to be a Julep Maven like me! Your first box is free with my referral!
What do you think of my picks from the Afterglow Collection?
It’s a new year, and I’ve got more Julep polished and Maven perks to tell you about! January’s collection is known as the Chrysalis Collection and my first box of the year was a big one!
Here’s what I got:
- Fa La La, an add on and an amazing discount! This holiday collection contains Winnie, a rose gold metallic; Margot, an old Hollywood gold shimmer; and Charisma, a Ruby red shimmer. While these are perfect holiday colors, I got this collection for a steal and will be incorporating them into other celebratory manicures.
- Margit – one of my It Girl box’s polishes. This color is described as mushroom with rose shimmer. The shimmer is evident looking at it in the bottle, but on my nails it’s more flat and a great winter neutral.
- Shelly – another from the January It Girl box. This wintermint is somewhere between mint and blue. I can see this pastel working well for any season.
- Luna – another add on. This light blue with chunks of jagged glitter is every hipster mermaid’s dream. Yes, it is hard to get off, and yes, the texture is a bit weird.
- Zelda – This pink champagne metallic was actually subbed into my box because it was more expensive as an add on. This gorgeous glitter looks like it’s ready for Gatsby’s parties, and you don’t have to wear anything under it to get it’s full effect.
- Janae – The final piece of the It Girl January box, I had subbed it out for Zelda, then added it back as an add on for less! This charcoal gray looks navy in the bottle.
My bonus gift this month was Julep’s Go Big mascara. I’m honestly not too excited about this, because I’m kind of a mascara snob, but I’ll have to try it out and reserve my judgement until then!
I also got some Junior Mints and a coupon for a free polish! If you want a free Julep Maven box, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org!
I’m closing out December the same way I close out every month– by posting my favorite instagram shots!
 A December favorite: Fresh Sugar lip balm in cherry. How cute is the packaging?!  The Boston Opera House for the Boston Ballet’s The Nutcracker.  I don’t like parties, but I do like costumes. Clad in an ugly sweater with my Christmas tree.  Julia & I at our company holiday party, dressed to freakin’ impress.  My Christmas Julep manicure: Roc Solid + Mary Lee.  Emerson College’s Paramount Theatre & neighborhood on a rainy night.  Opening presents at Mom & Dad’s!  My 7-year-old cousin told me I take too many selfies. I’m okay with that.  Hangin’ out with Edgar Allan Poe & being a tourist in my own city.
Have a safe, fun, and Happy New Year!
I’ll see you in 2015!