I’m always a little scared of finales– it means that something of great magnitude will happen and that I’ll have to wait a LONG time for my show to come back. While the stakes were definitely high in this, the Doctor Who series 8 finale, and I cried sufficient tears, it was a relatively painless episode for me. I did feel sad for Danny & Clara, even though you all know I hated this relationship. Danny was the only real sad part of this episode, so I didn’t really care about his departure. Clara’s is another thing altogether, as companions’ departures are so hard, but I know we’ll at least see her in the Christmas special before we have to say goodbye.
Let’s talk about the things I liked:
- Kate Stewart & UNIT: It was so nice to see Kate & her team intervene when Cybermen had the city surrounded. I was none too happy when she fell out of the plane, but I somehow knew they couldn’t kill Kate off! Too bad about Sandy, though. The storyline with Kate’s father was perfect.
- President of Earth, CEO of the Human Race: This title cracked me up, but like, can they please stop saying “President of America?” No American would ever say that.
- Clara’s Doctor Knowledge: First off, I love what she said about she and the Doctor’s friendship to Cyberman Danny. That’s why I’m a little horrified that she’s thinking of stopping their adventures. (Side note: why would she not have the Doctor bring the little bracelet boy to the past? She’s too good of a liar.) Secondly, her Doctor knowledge during her rouse pretending she was him was great– children and grandchildren missing, presumed to be dead? At least we’ve established that.
- Idiot with a Box: I loved the Doctor’s realization that he is neither a good man, nor a bad man, simply an idiot, learning. I feel like this is a larger statement. Are we all just idiots learning? I’m adopting this.
- I’m literally so psyched about Gallifrey, but I don’t think this is the last we’ve seen of the Master. What do you think?
Guys, are we going to have Christmas on Gallifrey?!
What did you think of Doctor Who’s finale?