With Anton gone, the 7 best chefs (theoretically… I’m talkin’ to you, Gabriel!) faced off last week, still in team v. team format.
A new day beging, as Andie calls them on the HK phone and sends ’em to cars downstairs. They find themselves in a market, and Chef Ramsay is there to announce the challenge– another of my favorites! Each team with have $35 to purchase ingredients to make three courses. A panel of judges will then assign value after tasting.
Both teams struggle to finish their dishes in the 30 minute time limit. Joy stars crying because her pork is undercooked. Chef Ramsay tries to help her compose herself, but she can’t even look at him. Judges include a food journalist, a “master yelper,” and a restauranteur.
- Jason presents his cornish hen first, thankfully it is cooked! However, the portion is too small. The judges assign $19, $21, and $20, bringing his average to $20.
- Kashia presents her sirloin in bourbon sauce and earns $26, $24, and $24, giving the team $24.67.
- Rochelle presents the trout for herself and Gabriel and earns $22, $22, and $20, scoring $21.33.
- Scott’s sea bass and shrimp gets mixed reviews. The judges give him $24, $24, and $23. His average of $23.67 is added to the team’s score.
- Melanie puts up her lamb to finish up the blue line up. The judges give her $27, $28, and $29 to an average of $28!
- Joy is last to present and she only needs $21 to win for Red. Her pork garners $25, $24, and $25. Her average of $24.67 sealing the deal for Red!
Red wins a $1000 shopping spree at the Grove (wait, I want that!) plus dinner at Hatfield’s. Blue has to clean the dorms as punishment. Poor Melanie technically won this challenge, and yet she’s the only one on her team that pulled her weight. The next day, even the refreshed Red Team is tried and cranky as they head into… flashing cameras and applause!
Since there have been 12 seasons of Hell’s Kitchen, Chef Ramsay announces there is to be a Hell’s Kitchen calendar showcasing a visually stunning dish from each season. Representing March, season 3 winner Rock steps out. Representing September, season 9 winner Paul steps out. Finally, representing October, Hell’s Kitchen 10 second runner-up Dana joins the stage. They are to serve as judges, since December is up for grabs for a season 12 contestant now! Gordon sweetens the pot by guaranteeing the coveted black jacket to the winner of the December page. With that, in spite of still being on teams, the first individual challenge is underway!
Rock, Dana, Paul, and Gordon score each dish out of 5:
- Jason: 3 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 8
- Kashia: 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 = 11
- Rochelle: 4 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 13
- Scott: 2 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 11 (it did look really pretty, though!)
- Melanie: 1 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 5 (she gets killed for adding flour to her mash!)
- Gabriel: literally gets no points for leaving off perfectly cooked lamb and serving like a stupid portion of over-cooked lamb
Ugh, cliffhanger while we wait for Joy’s score! She admits to not having cooked like anything that was on her plate before… so I guess we’ll see this week how she does! My prediction: Joy wins it all. I just feel like everyone did so poorly that Joy has to knock it out of the park.
What do you think?!