Last week, Melanie was new to the Blue Team and had a big opportunity to prove herself. Miraculously, Gabriel is still on the show? Weird. On to the recap!
Challenge: Chef Ramsay presented 4 dishes that are presented as one dish, but when tasted, are completely another. The point: a chef must count on his or her palate. AND WITH THAT IT’S TIME FOR MY FAVORITE CHALLENGE!
The Blind Taste Test
If you are unfamiliar with the blind taste test, it is exactly what it sounds like. Ramsay blindfolds contestants and places headphones on them as well so the only sense they have at their disposal is taste. They are fed and must guess what they are tasting. And it’s the freaking best challenge of the season.
- Joy gets pear, so does Rochelle
- Joy misses arugula, so does Rochelle
- Joy gets carrott, so does Rochelle
- Joy misses fillet mignon, Rochelle gets the point for Blue with “beef”
- Anton and Gabriel miss anchovies, mango, and peas, but they both get mozzarella
- Scott gets hot dog; Jason does not
- Scott gets radish; Jason does not
- Both miss macadamia guessing another nut
- Both also miss green beans
- Melanie misses parsnip, so does Kashia
- Both miss bell pepper as well
- Melanie misses chicken, but so does Kashia keeping Blue in the game
- Melanie misses cheddar, and Kashia gets it sealing Red’s victory by 2
Red wins an ice skating reward including a lesson with an Olympic figure skater Rachel Flatt, while Blue breaks ice blocks then makes ice cream by hand as punishment.
Note: Kashia couldn’t kayak and Kashia couldn’t ice skate because she was scared. Rewards are wasted on the unwilling.
Melanie doesn’t have a lot to work with on the Blue Team, but appetizers start out well in both kitchens. Red comes up one scallop short on their final app order, because apparently math still isn’t a part of cooking. Entrées prove tricky, especially for Red. Kashia braises salmon for some reason, and chicken comes out severely undercooked. Rochelle’s Wellingtons impress Chef Ramsay on the blue side, but Anton on Red overcooks theirs. Sous Chef Andi comes to teach, but Anton disrespects her an infuriating amount. “Shut up, and say, Yes Chef!” she yells, and earns Anton a walk to the freezer with Chef Ramsay. You’ve got to get it together! he yells. Meanwhile, he pays a serious compliment to Blue for their extremely high standard of service.
It’s no secret who won. I guess Melanie did make a difference on Blue! Red elects Anton and Scott for elimination. Ultimately, Anton is eliminated.
I tell you, I will NOT miss his voice. Tonight, we’re in for the toughest service for the Red team, with only three team members. Black jackets may be coming out tonight! We’ll see thought, we’ll see…