Last weekend, I was in the mood for a bit of a switch— a comedy. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love comedy but most of what I watch is on the darker side. For example, my current Netflix-generated categories are: Forensic TV Mysteries and Supernature TV Sci-Fi & Fantasy.
In honor of my shared birthday with Zooey Deschanel, I opted for New Girl. I know, I know; I’m late to the party. I had seen New Girl before, mainly because it’s on before The Mindy Project, and I wasn’t particularly impressed. I thought the characters seemed quirky to the point of ridiculousness. Still, I was willing to give it another chance. Starting from the beginning makes all the difference, right? So right. I really enjoyed what I found to be a pretty strong pilot.
Jess (Deschanel) is quirky, but this episode manages to keep it endearing and not annoying. Here’s what worked for me:
- The awkwardness of her struggle to come up with a stripper name and landing on “Tiger Boobs”
- The giant comedic mishap of Jess dancing naked for her boyfriend who was at that very moment cheating on her (it is a sitcom, after all)
- Post-breakup repeated watching of Dirty Dancing accompanied by sobbing
- The fact that Jess likes to sing to herself and makes up a theme song for herself (which is the theme song to the show!)
- One great big bonding moment with the new roommates breaking into song
I’m on board now. I think watching the first episode made me feel more oriented in the series and the characters, so the charming quirks are more palatable. I also love that there are shortened versions of the theme song– so much better for binge-watching!
I’ll definitely be finishing up the two seasons Netflix has to offer.
Next time the comedy-bug bites me, what should I turn to?